Pandemic relief grant applications to be opened to seafood processors
The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (MDMR) is partnering with the Mississippi Department of Agriculture (MDAC) to begin accepting applications from eligible participants in the Transformers Pandemic Response and Safety Global Grant Program seafood from July 1st.
The program is funded by pandemic relief under the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 and will be used to help pay for the expenses of seafood processing facilities and vessels following their response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
MDAC and MDMR will allocate funds based on industry need and the total amount of funds available. Funds can cover the following:
- Workplace safety measures, including but not limited to personal protective equipment, sanitizer, hand washing stations, air filters, thermometers, cleaning supplies or similar items.
- Market pivots, such as the shift to virtual/online selling costs (online platform development and fees, online marketing, credit card processing fees), supplies and new signage.
- Upgrades to facilities for worker and consumer safety (harvest vessel upgrades for onboard processing to maximize outdoor activities, plexiglass, walk-in windows, heat lamps, fans, tents, propane, weights , tables, chairs).
- Additional transportation costs incurred to maintain social distancing.
- Additional worker housing costs incurred to maintain social distancing or to allow for quarantine of new or exposed employees.
- Medical Expenses: Non-reimbursed costs associated with providing or activating vaccinations, testing, or health care for infected employees, including any paid leave.
Participation is only available to Mississippi resident applicants who possessed a valid Mississippi Resident Commercial Seafood Processor License (Type 16), which must be supported by appropriate certifications issued by the MDMR agency, between the years of license 2019 and 2022.
In order to complete an application, contact information, email address, all applicable 2019-2020, 2020-2021 or 2021-2022 fishing year license numbers, social security number (or employer tax ID), completed W-9, and applicable income loss information must be provided.
Applications will be open here between July 1 at 9 a.m. and August 16 at 11:59 p.m.
No late application will be considered.