TS schemes for minorities fail beneficiaries

Delay in scholarships, halt in loan applications: TS programs for minorities fail for beneficiaries

Hyderabad: The state government is not generous in providing budget for several welfare schemes of the Minority Welfare Department in the current financial year.

Students from minority communities who had applied for the Chief Minister’s Scholarship Abroad for the 2020-21 academic year received their first installment this year. So far, under the study abroad scholarship scheme, a sum of Rs. 6.30 crore financial aid has been provided to minority students in the current financial year against the allowance of Rs. 100 crores.

After canceling 1.5 lakh of pending applications for the Bankable Loan Scheme, Minority Welfare Minister Koppula Eshwar approved Rs. 50 crores to run the “Bank Linked Subsidy – Economic Support Scheme” for minorities by soliciting new applications using the Online Beneficiary Management and Monitoring System (OBMMS) web platform this year, but also no amount was released for this program in the current year and the process call from the application is also interrupted for various reasons.

As many as 10,000 imams and mauzams, who lead prayers in mosques, have not received their fees of Rs. 5,000 per month from the Waqf Council for the past four months. The Waqf Board has also not released Rs. 3 crores of pending bills from Anis-ul-Gurba, an orphanage in Nampally, which is under renovation with a total cost of Rs. 40 crores.

The Finance Department had allocated Rs. 1,824.59 crore budget for the Minority Welfare Department for the year 2022-2023, but the bulk of 44% of the allocations, around Rs. 802 crore, go to the Telangana Minorities Residential Educational Institutions Society (TMREIS) which operates 204 middle and junior schools for the community and the remaining 56%, Rs. 1,022 crore is allocated for welfare schemes and staff salaries.

According to the officials, to date, the Budget Release Orders (BRO) of Rs. 1,214.28 crores have been issued but the actual expenditure is only Rs. 536.38 crores or less than 35%.

Syed Amin Jafri, Member of the Legislative Council, AIMIM, said, “We raised this issue in a recent session of our Party Assembly and stressed that the central government is not releasing the arrears and the share of the State in central and central subsidies. taxes also limit the state to further borrowing. The impact of reduced income and capital expenditure due to lower income and borrowing is felt by all social services, most notably the minority social service.

Jafri said the state government was extending various financial aid programs to SCs, STs and BCs, but programs for minorities, especially Muslims, had not been implemented for five years. Even though half of the current fiscal year is over, less than 33 percent of the targets set by the department have been achieved, he noted.

“Recipients of the Shadi Mubarak program receive their checks after two years and applicants for tuition reimbursement and post-matric scholarship programs also receive their aid in the next academic year,” Amin Jafri said.

When contacted, the Director of the Minority Welfare Department, Shahnawaz Qasim, declined to comment on this matter and said they were consulting with the finance department to sort out some outstanding issues.

Comments are closed.